This recipe is adapted from a Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals recipe for chicken laksa (you can see the original recipe here). I can’t really take any credit for this, all I’ve done his taken his soup recipe, turned it into a sauce and vegetarianised it. I love the flavour profile so much – it’s spicy, fresh and zesty and it makes a really sexy accompaniment for noodles and stir fried vegetables.
Recipe (serves 2)
For the sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- About 2cm root ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, as hot or mild as you like, deseeded and roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 15g fresh coriander, stalks and all
- ½ tablespoon peanut butter
- ½ tin coconut milk (200g)
- The juice of one lime
- Two nests/bundles noodles of your choice, cooked according to packet instructions
- Stir fried vegetables
- Some kind of protein –I normally go for marinated tofu, but I think toasted cashews could be even better
- A good sprinkle of sesame seeds
While the noodles, veg and protein are cooking, throw all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and whizz until completely blended.
Briefly heat the sauce up in a pan until just hot. You don’t want to cook it for more than a couple of minutes or it will start to lose its zinginess. As soon as it starts to bubble, add the cooked noodles and toss to coat. Serve the noodles topped with the veggies and protein.